Are you looking for the best hiking quotes that will inspire your next outdoor getaway? Or, perhaps you’re searching for some funny hiking captions to pair your gorgeous mountain shots with. From the famous peaks in Switzerland to the hidden hiking trails in Oregon, our world is filled with natural wonders to explore.
In this article, you’ll find 200+ inspiring quotes about hiking including trekking quotes, mountain hiking quotes, and hiking quotes for couples. After reading them, you’ll hopefully be even more excited for your next outdoor adventure! And if you’re looking for some funny hiking quotes for Instagram shots, you’ll find plenty of gems here that will make your audience smile.
You might also be interested in:
🎁 50+ Best Gifts for Hikers, Campers, & Backpackers in 2023
🏞 200+ Mountain Quotes & Captions for Instagram
✈️ 300+ Best Travel Captions for Instagram
🏝 300+ Beach Quotes & Captions for Instagram
🏔 Famous Quotes About Hiking
Let’s start off with some famous hiking quotes that you might have heard of before. These quotes about being outdoors include well-known hiking sayings by famous mountaineers, writers, and philosophers such as John Muir, Robert Frost, and Aristotle.
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” — Lao Tzu
- “Not all who wander are lost.” — J. R. R. Tolkien
- “The mountains are calling and I must go.” — John Muir
- “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” — Robert Frost
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” — Helen Keller
- “Fall down seven times and stand up eight.” — Japanese Proverb
- “And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” — John Muir
- “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” — John Muir
- “If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” — Frank A. Clark
- “Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.” — Hermann Buhl
- “Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.” — H. Thoreau
- “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” — Ed Viesturs
- “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” — John Muir
- “When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top.” — Unknown
- “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” — Sir Martin Conway
- “In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” — Aristotle
- “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” — Chief Seattle
📸 Hiking Captions for Instagram
Here are some short and funny hiking Instagram captions to pair your outdoor shots with. These captions about hiking range from playful to sentimental. Some of them also make fun & sassy captions for hiking pictures.
- Hike more, worry less.
- Sky above, earth below, peace within.
- Too much fresh air is not a thing.
- Wonder. Wander. Repeat.
- Dear mountains, I think about you all the time.
- Hiking is my therapy.
- All good things are wild and free.
- I know I hike like a girl, try to keep up.
- I don’t need therapy I just need to go hiking.
- All I need is a mountain breeze & tall trees.
- Let’s wander where the WiFi is weak.
- You are never too old to play outside.
- Life is better in hiking boots.
- I’m not lost. I’m exploring.
- Life should have more mountains and less stress.
- Go wild for a while.
- Some of the best memories are made in hiking shoes.
- One, two, three steps more to the top.
- Out here, I feel alive.
- Hiking is cheaper than therapy.
- The best view comes after the hardest climb.
- The view is always worth the climb.
- We have nothing to lose and a world to see.
- When life gives you mountains, put on your boots and hike.
- Mountains are my happy place.
😂 Funny Hiking Quotes
These funny quotes about hiking and hiking pun captions are clever, silly, and very tongue-in-cheek. In fact, these funny hiking sayings are perfect for those of you looking for funny hiking captions for Instagram!
- “Hiking is the answer, who cares what the question is.” — Unknown
- “Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost, and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.” — Ellen DeGeneres
- “Hiking is just walking where it’s okay to pee.” — Demetri Martin
- “Bring a compass. It’s awkward when you have to eat your friends.” — Unknown
- “The closer you are to nature the further you are from idiots.” — Unknown
- “What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die of course. Literally shit myself lifeless.” — Bill Bryson
- “Feeling LOW? Go on mountains.” — Prajakta Mhadnak
- “I have two doctors, my left leg and my right.” — G.M. Trevelyan
- “I like being near the top of a mountain. One can’t get lost here.” — Wislawa Szymborska
- “I might look like I am listening to you, but in my mind, I am hiking.” — Unknown
- “Always hike with someone in worse shape than you. The bears out there will know.”
- “It’s a hill. Get over it.” — Unknown
- “Here is a photo of me and my therapist.” — Unknown
- “One thing to remember on the Eiger, never look up, or you may need a plastic surgeon.”
- “Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot.” — Diane Spicer
- “Think outside. No box required.” — Unknown
- “Some women want diamonds… Others just want a hammock, a campfire, and some peace & quiet.” — Unknown
- “May the forest be with you.” — Unknown
- “DEET is nature’s cologne.” — Unknown
- “Just put one foot in front of the other.” — Austin Peck
- “Sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.” – Bears
- “It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.”
- “I have a therapist. Her name is Nature.” — Unknown
- “Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it’s great when you stop.”
💪🏼 Motivational Quotes on Hiking
These motivational hiking quotes capture the power of persistence during the journey. These motivational quotes for hikers and trekking motivational quotes also make inspiring hiking captions for Instagram!
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
- “You’re off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.”
- “For hiking is one of those things that you can only do when you have the determination in you.” — Unknown
- “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” — Winston Churchill
- “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” — T.S. Eliot
- “If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill.” — Henry B. Eyring
- “The only way is forward.” — Unknown
- “No matter how rough it gets, just keep on moving.” — Unknown
- “When you’re tired, focus on the sights.” — Unknown
- “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” — Wilma Rudolph
- “Faith moves mountains, but you have to keep pushing while you are praying.” — Unknown
- “The only Zen you can find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there.” — Unknown
🏕 Trekking Quotes
If you’re looking for a clever caption for trekking pictures, these mountain trekking quotes make excellent trekking captions for Instagram. These thoughtful quotes for trekking also show great insight into life as a long-distance hiker and adventurer.
- “The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot.” — Werner Herzog
- “The best way out is always through.” — Robert Frost
- “Trekkers at high altitudes sometimes sense a person walking a few paces behind them, just out of sight. Often this person is dead. I never feel this, but once or twice I imagine someone walking a little ahead of me.” — Colin Thubron
- “If the winter is too cold and the summer is too hot, you are not a hiker.” — Unknown
- “Trekking means a traveling experience with a thrilling excitement.” — Amit Kalantri
- “On a hike, the days pass with the wind, the sun, the stars; movement is powered by a belly full of food and water, not a noxious tankful of fossil fuels. On a hike, you’re less a job title and more a human being… A periodic hike not only stretches the limbs but also reminds us: Wow, there’s a big old world out there.” — Ken Ilgunas
- “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” — Sir Ranulph Fiennes
- “You need mountains. Long staircases don’t make good hikers.” — Amit Kalantri
- “The long-distance hiker, a breed set apart, from the likes of the usual pack. He’ll shoulder his gear, be hittin’ the trail; long gone, long ‘fore he’ll be back.” — M.J. Eberhart
- “Traveling the road will tell you more about the road than Google will tell you about the road.”
- “The man who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth.” — Horace Kephart
- “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” — Cindy Ross
- “Travelers, there is no path, paths are made by walking.” — Antonio Machado
- “Distance changes utterly when you take the world on foot. A mile becomes a long way, two miles literally considerable, ten miles whopping, fifty miles at the very limits of conception. The world, you realize, is enormous in a way that only you and a small community of fellow hikers know. Planetary scale is your little secret.” — Bill Bryson
👭🏼 Hiking With Friends Quotes
Here are some fun and sentimental hiking with best friends quotes and trekking with friends quotes that will inspire you to call up your besties for your next outdoor adventure. These quotes about hiking with friends also make amazing hiking with friends captions for Instagram!
- “A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you.” — Unknown
- “It’s not where you go, but who you go with.” — Unknown
- “You keep me safe, I’ll keep you wild.” — Unknown
- “Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.” — Izaak Walton
- “Happiness is hiking with friends.” —Unknown
- “There is a whole world out there. Pack your backpack, your best friend, and go.” —Unknown
- “It’s not how many miles you walk, it’s how many smiles you share.” — Unknown
- “Sometimes, all you need is a great friend and thirst for adventure.” — Unknown
- “A journey well shared is a journey well enjoyed.” — Unknown
- “Friends that travel together, stay together.” — Unknown
- “Sharing adventures means enjoying them 100% more.” — Unknown
- “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” — Tim Cahill
- “Life was meant for good friends & great adventures.” — Unknown
🧗🏼♀️ Mountain Hiking Quotes
Here are some quotes about hiking mountains that remind us just how phenomenal, mysterious, and unpredictable mountains are. These hiking mountain quotes pair very well with any Instagram shot of your trip to the mountains. These quotes about mountain hiking also touch on the very real challenges of mountain-climbing.
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” — Jack Kerouac
- “There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” — Alex Lowe
- “If you think you’ve peaked, find a new mountain.” — Unknown
- “The mountains whisper for me to wander; my soul hikes to the call.” — Angie Weiland Crosby
- “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it.” — Andy Rooney
- “Although I deeply love oceans, deserts, and other wild landscapes, it is only mountains that beckon me with that sort of painful magnetic pull to walk deeper and deeper into their beauty.” — Victoria Erickson
- “Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous.” — Reinhold Messner
- “You can’t climb up a mountain with downhill thoughts.” — Unknown
- “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.” — John Muir
- “The experienced mountain climber is not intimidated by a mountain he is inspired by it.”
- “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.” — John Muir
- “The hardest mountain to climb is the one within.” — J. Lynn
- “Every mountain has its soul… if the mountain does not accept you and you don’t submit to her will, she will destroy you.” — Bernadette McDonald
- “When preparing to climb a mountain — pack a light heart.” — Dan May
- “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” — Unknown
- “Mountains make me believe that nothing can be bigger than nature, not even human ego.”
- “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” — Harley King
- “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” — Lito Flores
- “No mountain remains a mystery when you take steps to conquer it.” — Unknown
- “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” — Jeffrey Rasley
- “I’ve realized that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.” — Andrew Garfield
- “There may be more to learn from climbing the same mountain a hundred times than by climbing a hundred different mountains.” — Richard R. Nelson
🤩 Inspirational Hiking Quotes
Looking for an inspirational caption for hiking pictures? Here are some dreamy and inspiring hiking quotes that are bound to lift up your mood and make you smile.
- “The earth has music for those who listen.” — William Shakespeare
- “For the sake of your soul, venture out.” — Unknown
- “Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer.” — John Muir
- “Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” — Rachel Carson
- “May your search through nature lead you to yourself.” — Shikoba
- “Deep in the forest I stroll to hear the wisdom of my soul.” — Angie Weiland Crosby
- “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.” — John Muir
- “Everything worthwhile is uphill. Everything.” — John Maxwell
- “The stars were better company anyway.” — David Eddings
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” — Sir Edmund Hillary
- “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.” — John Muir
- “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old — we grow old because we stop hiking.”
- “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” — Beverly Sills
- “Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.” — Steven Wright
- “Today, she is standing at the top of a mountain and appreciating the majestic panoramic view of mesmerizing Himalaya. As a kid, she used to look up in the sky and wish for wings to fly up to the mountains. And now after a long wait of many years, she is standing here and living her dream.” — Ashish Bhardwaj
- “Live your life by a compass, not a clock.” — Unknown
- “I walked slowly to enjoy this freedom, and when I came out of the mountains, I saw the sky over the prairie, and I thought that if heaven was real, I hoped it was a place I never had to go, for this earth was greater than any paradise.” — Daniel J. Rice
- “Keep close to Nature’s heart, yourself; and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” — John Muir
- “Do more things that make you forget to check your phone.” — Unknown
- “It’s not a competition to reach the top, it’s a promise you make with yourself.” — Unknown
Want to take the best hiking photos? Read my guide: Best Cameras for Bloggers in 2023
🐾 Hiking Trail Quotes
These quotes about trails showcase the beauty of the journey and why it’s important to live in the moment and take it slow as we hike.
- “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” — Edward Abbey
- “Leave the road, take the trails.” — Pythagore
- “Somewhere between the start of the trail and the end is the mystery why we choose to walk.”
- “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for.” — Louis L’Amour
- “Every now and then it’s good to stop climbing and appreciate the view from right where you are.” — Lori Deschene
- “The trail leads not merely north and south, but up to the body, mind, and soul of man.”
- “I love walking in the woods, along the trails, by the beaches. I love being part of nature. I love walking alone. It is therapy. One needs to be alone, to recharge one’s batteries.” — Grace Kelly
- “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” — Rosalia de Castro
- “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” — Erol Ozan
- “Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss by going too fast — you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.” — Eddie Cantor
- “Hiking is a bit like life: The journey only requires you to put one foot in front of the other…again and again and again. And if you allow yourself the opportunity to be present throughout the entirety of the trek, you will witness beauty every step of the way, not just at the summit.”
❤️ Hiking Quotes for Couples
These romantic hiking lovers quotes and hiking couple quotes are perfect to send to that special someone who goes on adventures with you. Some of these hiking love quotes also make great romantic hiking Instagram captions!
- “Instead of Netflix and chill, we watch sunsets on a hill.” — Unknown
- “Camping is not a date; it’s an endurance test. If you can survive camping with someone, you should marry them on the way home.” — Yvonne Prinz
- “Like the weightlessness of standing at the peak, a soulmate makes you feel free.” — Unknown
- “Bring me coffee, take me hiking, and tell me I’m sexy.” — Unknown
- “Think of every date as one step up — they’re leading you to a beautiful peak.” — Unknown
- “Ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough, ain’t no river wide enough, to keep me from getting to you babe.” — Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
- “Your partner is both home and adventure all at once.” — Unknown
- There’s no one I’d rather walk the trails with than you.
- “You are my greatest adventure.” — Mr. Incredible, The Incredibles
- “I’ve fallen in love with adventures, so I begin to wonder, if that’s why I’ve fallen for you.”
- Together is my favorite place to be.
- “The right someone will hack through the bushes and challenge the woods, but most importantly, they’ll enjoy every step with you.” — Unknown
- “Why should a relationship mean settling down? Wait for someone who won’t let life escape you, who’ll challenge you and drive you towards your dreams. Someone spontaneous who you can get lost in the world with.” — Beau Taplin
- “Climbing is as close as we can come to flying.” — Margaret Young
- “Here’s to all the places we went. And here’s to all the places we’ll go. And here’s to me, whispering again and again and again and again: I love you.” — John Green
- “I know there’s nature all around, but I can’t keep my eyes off of you.” — Unknown
- On a tree-mendous hike with you.
- “Who stands beside you on the journey is more important than where the trail leads to.”
- “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.” — Lewis Carroll
- “Take your potential someone into the forest. If they smile through the sweat and whistle with the wind, your adventures will never end.” — Unknown
- Don’t ever leaf me.
- “It doesn’t matter where you are going, it’s who you have beside you.” — Unknown
- “What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame, but something wild to run with.”
- “The perfect pair of hiking boots brings you safely through thrumming rivers and broken rocks; the perfect partner is walking right beside you.” — Unknown
🌿 Nature Hiking Quotes
These quotes for hiking focus on living and breathing in nature and the benefits that come with that. Some of these quotes about hiking and nature are witty and clever, while others are quotes about nature walks that will inspire you to take a stroll outdoors, even if it’s just for an hour!
- “I slow down when hiking. The rhythm of nature is more leisurely. The sun comes up, it moves across the sky, and you begin to synchronize to that rhythm.” — John Mackey
- “A walk in nature walks the soul back home.” — Mary Davis
- “Life’s better when you add fresh air, a warm campfire, brights stars, and s’mores” — Unknown
- “Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.” — Unknown
- “The wild woman has a deep love of nature; a love for the ancient mother. Though possibly misunderstood, it has always been in her. When she goes into the wilderness, a part of her soul is going home.” — Shikoba
- “Nature is the greatest place to heal and recharge.” — Unknown
- “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” — Unknown
- “Sometimes, nature is all you need.” — Shikoba
- “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” — Mary Davis
- “I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than trees.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” — Albert Einstein
- “Our minds, as well as our bodies, have need of the out-of-doors. Our spirits, too, need simple things, elemental things, the sun and the wind and the rain, moonlight, and starlight, sunrise and mist and mossy forest trails, the perfumes of dawn and the smell of fresh-turned earth and the ancient music of wind among the trees.” — Edwin Way Teale
- “I found far more answers in the woods than I ever did in the city.” — Mary Davis
- “Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” — Edward Abbey
- “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.” — Robert Frost
- “Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
- “The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.” — John Muir
- “Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.” — Walt Whitman
🕵🏼♀️ Hiking Adventure Quotes
These adventure trekking quotes capture the excitement that comes with hiking and being outdoors. Many of them also make good hiking captions for your adventure shots.
- “There is always an adventure waiting in the woods.” — Katelyn S. Bolds
- “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” — Rachel Wolchin
- “Adventure isn’t hanging off a rope on the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life.” — John Amatt
- “If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” — Raymond Inmon
- “Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.”
- “Climbing is as close as we can come to flying.” — Margaret Young
- “Only one who wanders finds a new path.” — Norwegian Proverb
- “Traveling shouldn’t be just a tour, it should be a tale.” — Amit Kalantri
- “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” — Marcel Proust
- “Life’s a climb but the view is great.” — Unknown
- “I’d rather be hiking in the rain than sitting inside at a desk on a sunny day.” — Unknown
- “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.” — Unknown
- “Hiking side effects include sweating, euphoria, and general awesomeness.” — Unknown
Want to work from the outdoors? Read my guide: Best Laptops for Travelers in 2023
🚶🏼♂️ More Quotes About Hiking
Here are some more inspirational hiking nature quotes and hiking photo captions for Instagram that reflect the peace and joy that comes with adventuring outdoors.
- “You need special shoes for hiking…and a bit of a special soul as well.” — Unknown
- “Fresh air and muddy boots make everything better.” — Unknown
- “Somewhere on your journey, don’t forget to turn around and enjoy the view.” — Unknown
- “Hiking’s not for everyone. Notice the wilderness is mostly empty.” — Sonja Yoerg
- “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” — G.M. Trevelyan
- “Walking is a man’s best medicine.” — Hippocrates
- “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” — Jennifer Pharr Davis
- “We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down.” — Robert Sweetgall
- “A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” — Paul Dudley White
- “All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Hiking is the best workout. You can hike for three hours and not even realize you’re working out. And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself.” — Jamie Luner
🗻 Final Thoughts on These 200+ Quotes on Hiking
Whether you were looking for the best hiking Instagram captions or quotes on hiking to inspire your next adventure, I hope you’ve found these 200+ hiking quotes funny, inspiring, and uplifting. When we feel like we’ve spent too much time sitting in front of a laptop, these motivating trekking quotes are here to remind us to go breathe some fresh air.